Archie Post 5-Miler Recap

My first 5 mile race = automatic PR!

Saturday morning started very early so I could eat and have enough time to digest my pre-run breakfast before the race. It takes my body a crazy amount of time to digest food before a run. I have to wait at least two hours or it’s still sitting like a brick in my stomach. Not exactly convenient..

The race was held at UVM so I made my way over around 7:30 for the 8:30 start since I wasn’t sure what the parking situation would be like. It was no problem and I was left with quite a bit of time to hang out. I stretched a bit and warmed up before getting on the bus to the start line. For this race they literally bussed us 5 miles away and then we ran 5 miles back.

The start was in a residential neighborhood right in front of a house where a guy was washing his car, haha.

The race itself was all right. I made some stupid mistakes like running the first mile in 7:45 and thinking I could hold that for 5 miles (yeah, right). My pace ended up being 8:32 which I was upset about originally but then had to take a step back and remember that I’ve only been running consistently for about 7-8 months and I’m not going to become faster overnight. I should be thrilled that I can have an average pace in the 8s. I should have started off at a more conservative pace and THEN picked it up later in the race, so I didn’t have to crawl across the finish line.

It was a learning experience 🙂

Some splits:
Mile 1: 7:44
Mile 2: 8:18
Mile 3: 8:50
Mile 4: 8:52
Mile 5: 9:17 (off because I walked around a bit after without pressing stop)

I have 43:00 for Garmin time, but official time was 42:25. The course was a bit short, so I finished it in 4.97 or something.

The rest of the weekend was fun. I went on a bike ride with one of my friends through some of the neighborhoods at the waterfront. We saw some gorgeous houses and even found a new beach!

They also had a free yoga class at one of the studios here so my friend and I went. It was a Feldenkrais workshop. It was totally weird, it was an hour and a half of repeating the same motions over and over while laying on the mat, but after class I felt much more grounded (and didn’t have any soreness after the race!) so I’d say it was a success. I don’t know if I’ll ever try another class like that, simply because I got bored. I need my yoga to be faster and with more of a stretch. I went into that class hoping to stretch a lot and the first thing the instructor told us was to stop each motion right BEFORE we feel a stretch. …really?

After I was completely dead and just laid around all afternoon. We barbecued for dinner, hamburgers for the boys and a portobella mushroom cap for me 🙂 I also grabbed some tofu from the hot bar at City Market for a side and it was delish. We also roasted some tomatoes + peppers. Yum! Dessert was Ben and Jerry’s, of course!

I went home early because I was volunteering at a triathlon this morning! I was set up as a road marshall and got to wear a fancy vest. It was all right, not quite as exciting as the sprint ones. I enjoy doing the water stations much more.

Afterwards I did some homework and went food shopping (got kale for 70 cents a pound!) but I’m just so tired. I’m gonna get to bed early tonight and get up early-ish to finish some homework.

That was a long post!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s